- Is CBD Oil Safe to Use for the Elderly?
- Does CBD Oil Provide Pain Relief for the Elderly?
- Can CBD Oil Help Treat Anxiety for Seniors?
- Can CBD Reduce Cancer Cell Growth?
- Can CBD Help with Insomnia and Sleep Issues?
- What to Consider When Buying CBD Oil
- Risks Involved in Using CBD Oil
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is a chemical found in Cannabis sativa—the same plant that is dried to make marijuana. CBD is legalized in all states, but there are some restrictions. More information is available here in our CBD state by state list.
Is CBD Oil Safe to Use for the Elderly?
A great deal of research is being undertaken into the application of CBD. As yet, no serious safety concerns have been associated with small to medium doses of CBD. Studies have shown that side effects are usually mild or go away when you stop using it.
Side effects may include:
- Dry mouth
- Reduced appetite
Before trying CBD, you should always consult your doctor, as pre-existing conditions or medications may impact its effects.
Some CBD brands have claimed that CBD can cure cancer entirely or help with heart disease. Huge health claims like that are misinformed and not verified. If a company is advertising unrealistic benefits, beware.
Does CBD Oil Provide Pain Relief for the Elderly?
CBD oil can be an option for pain management. There is limited research, but this suggests it may help with pain and inflammation.
Conditions that may benefit from CBD oil use include:
- Arthritic pain
- Cancer pain
Can CBD Oil Help Treat Anxiety for Seniors?
Research into the effectiveness of CBD oil in the treatment of anxiety is limited and often constrained to tests on animals. As a result, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved any CBD-based medications for anxiety. However, many studies indicate CBD oil may be an effective treatment for many.
Can CBD Reduce Cancer Cell Growth?
There are promising studies that show CBD oil can help halt or, in some cases, reduce the growth of some tumors. Still, it's far too early to say that CBD is an effective treatment for cancer in humans. CBD shouldn't be considered a substitute for other cancer treatments.
Can CBD Help with Insomnia and Sleep Issues?
Research results on cannabis and sleep are mixed. If external factors cause your sleep issues, CBD oil may help treat them. If you're having trouble sleeping regularly, though, you may have some underlying sleep issues that a sleep specialist would be able to help diagnose.
What to Consider When Buying CBD Oil
The use of CBD oil has risen dramatically in recent years. This means there are many out there looking to capitalize on this interest. Unfortunately, some parties may even make sub-par products that are unproven or dangerous.
Things to look for when buying CBD oil:
- Certificate of Analysis (COA) on the company website. If they don't have one on their website, ask them to supply one. If they can't, consider it a sign that their product may be sub-standard.
- A shortlist of ingredients that are grown in the U.S.
- Organic or non-goo CBD oil. To claim a product is organic, a company or part of its operations must be Certified Organic by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). This extra step will often be a step too far for cheap or imported products.
Risks Involved in Using CBD Oil
CBD oil use does come with some risks. Though it's often well-tolerated, CBD can cause side effects, such as:
- Dry mouth
- Reduced appetite
CBD can also interact with other medications you're taking, such as blood thinners, so if you plan to use products containing CBD, talk to your doctor first.
Additionally, some CBD oils contain trace elements of THC (less than 0.3%) but this can cause positive drug tests.