- Best Scam Call Blocker Apps
- Best Overall Block Scam Call App: Hiya
- Best for Caller ID: TrueCaller
- Best Scam Blocker App for Businesses: YouMail
- Best Scam Call App for iPhones: RoboKiller
- Most Features: CallApp
- Best Budget Paid Scam Call App: NomoRobo
- Most Complete Package: Norton Mobile Security
- Why Get a Scam Blocker App?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Several great mobile apps give you an extra layer of protection against scam calls. Generally speaking, call-blocker apps work by identifying who’s calling and block the number if the caller is unknown. Some scam call apps may also offer additional features like caller ID and spam text blockers.
Keep reading for our top picks of apps to stop scam calls, along with some additional tips to protect yourself against nuisance calls.
Best Scam Call Blocker Apps
|Scam Call Blocker App
|Best Caller ID
|Best for Businesses
|Best for iPhones
|Best Budget Paid App
|Most Complete Security Package
|Norton Mobile Security
|$14.99 for first year
Best Overall Block Scam Call App: Hiya
The easy-to-use free version of Hiya provides incoming spam call detection, which is particularly effective thanks to the analysis of billions of calls each month. Hiya warns you against 25 specific area codes and prefixes, i.e., the first six numbers of a phone number. This is because many spam calls now mimic these numbers to try and convince you to pick up the phone.
But that’s not all—you also get unlimited free lookups for spam and scam numbers against the extensive Hiya database. This means you’ll know if your missed calls belong to a scammer or legitimate business.
While you do get decent protection with the free version, you’ll have to pay for the Hiya Premium if you want additional security features, including automatic blocking of fraud and spam calls and premium caller ID. However, the premium version is pretty cheap at just $2.99 per month.
- What we like: The interface is intuitive and not clogged up with ads, even with the free version.
- What we don’t like: There are some compatibility issues with some Google smartphones, and the spam text blocker is not currently supported for newer Android phones.
Best for Caller ID: TrueCaller
When it comes to caller ID, it’s hard to beat TrueCaller. When a call comes in, it tells the potential identity of the caller and where the caller is likely to be from. Therefore, even before you accept a call, you’ll know enough information about the caller to help you decide whether to receive it or not.
TrueCaller also blocks scam calls, comparing your incoming calls against its vast directory of telemarketers and scam callers. You can also create your own blocked numbers to the existing list to ensure you don’t get calls from anyone you don’t want to. Additionally, you can choose to be notified of scam calls or not.
Received an unusual missed call? TrueCaller allows you to search the number, and you’ll learn the identity of the caller as well as some information, such as the phone carrier and whether the number is linked to a scam.
Call blocking, and caller ID features are free. Premium features of the scam call app include:
- Call recording
- Incognito mode
- Removal of in-app ads
- What we like: The app is excellent for looking up numbers with a database of over 2 billion records collected from contact lists of users throughout the world.
- What we don’t like: The app is supported by ads, but thankfully they are relatively non-intrusive.
Best Scam Blocker App for Businesses: YouMail
YouMail uses smart technology to block spam calls and robocalls. Its algorithm analyzes the incoming phone number with a list of spam numbers. If a match is found, the call is blocked from reaching you, and the ‘Out of Service’ message is played.
You can report fraudulent phone numbers to YouMail and add numbers to your own personal blocklist with ease. Also, if YouMail detects an illegal robocall, it notifies carriers and the authorities to help track down the culprits.
Look up missed callers with the accurate reverse phone lookup service. With each number you investigate, you’ll learn the name and location of the caller and if the call has come from a flagged number. Fraudulent calls are identified, like “IRS Scam” or “Refund Scam.”
The free YouMail plan has everything the average person needs to block robocalls. However, businesses may benefit from the additional services of the premium plan, including:
- A second phone number that can be sent directly to voicemail or forwarded to your cell phone.
- Automatic text messages
- Free conference calls with automatic recordings
- What we like: You can set up a separate free voicemail that will filter spam voicemails.
- What we don’t like: Compared to other call-blocking apps, YouMail is a little more complicated to set up.
Best Scam Call App for iPhones: RoboKiller
There is a reason why RoboKiller won the Federal Trade Commission’s anti-robocall competition. It automatically blocks over 200,000 robocalls and telemarketers, even if they use spoofing technology or change their numbers.
Robokiller allows you to turn the tables on the spam callers, with Answer Bots taking the calls for you. Not only will you be giving scammers a taste of their own medicine, but the scam call app also learns from every call and updates its block list in real-time. Listen in to some of the hilarious responses from the Answer Bots on RoboRadio.
If that’s not enough, RoboKiller has some useful additional features, including:
- Spoofing protection to stop scammers from faking local numbers
- SMS spam protection, which will filter out unwanted text messages
- A personal list of allowed and blocked callers.
The app is easy to use and is reasonably priced at just $4.99/month or $39.99/year. Better yet, you can put RoboKiller to the test on a 7-day free trial.
- What we like: The app audio-fingerprints scammers to detect voice patterns of nuisance callers. This allows Robokiller to block scammers even if they change their number.
- What we don’t like: The iOS version of the app is excellent, but a few minor kinks need to be worked out in the Android version.
Most Features: CallApp
Packed full of features, CallApp has all you need and more to give you some extra protection against fraudulent callers. The automatic caller ID lets you know who’s calling, identifying potential telemarketers, scammers, and harassment calls. You can mark an unknown caller as spam, which notifies other users of the risk if they receive a call from that number.
Blocking phone calls from fraudsters and telemarketers is easy. You have the option to block common scammers, create your own block list, and block private and hidden numbers. Plus, you can choose to block international calls and numbers not in your call list with the advanced blocking settings. Plus, you can block scam text messages too.
CallApp offers more than just protection from unwanted calls. Additional features of the app include:
- Automatic all recorder that lets you record incoming and outgoing phone calls.
- Advanced contact book that allows you to add lots of extra information to your phone contact list, like pictures, location, social media info, birthdays, and more.
- Backup of your contacts, call recordings, and more.
- Call reminder, so you don’t forget important calls.
- Incognito mode to make anonymous phone calls to protect your privacy.
- What we like: The app can identify over 1 billion unknown callers, so you rarely receive a call from an unknown number.
- What we don’t like: The app is not yet available for iOS phones.
Best Budget Paid Scam Call App: NomoRobo
As soon as you install NomoRobo, you’re protected from over 1 million robocallers, with over 1,500 new nuisance callers added to the banned list each day. Take control and decide whether robocalls are identified on your call screen or just sent straight to voicemail.
Not all robocalls are blocked. Legal robocalls, like weather alerts, appointment reminders, pharmacies, and school closings, are allowed through. So you get the information you need without worrying if you’re answering the phone to a scam caller. Scam texts won’t be a problem either—they are filtered out by NomoRobo.
NomoRobo offers good value for money at just $1.99/month or $19.99/year. We also love that you can protect your voice over internet protocol (VoIP) landlines from scam phone calls for free with NomoRobo.
- What we like: A 14-day free trial gives you a real chance to check out how effective NomoRobo is before committing.
- What we don’t like: The free trial is great, but it’s a shame you need to provide your credit card details to sign up.
Most Complete Package: Norton Mobile Security
Norton Mobile Security (for both Android and iPhones) is a good choice if you’re looking for an app that provides all-around security for your mobile phone. It automatically blocks spam and fraud calls but does so much more besides protecting you against scammers, including:
- Protection against viruses, malware, and spyware that could be used to steal your personal information.
- Top-level encryption prevents cybercriminals from accessing your personal information, whether you’re on your home or a public network.
- Warnings against potentially risky apps and if your WiFi network is under attack.
- Notification if your personal information appears on the dark web so you can change your passwords as soon as possible.
- Safeguarding against fraudulent and malicious websites.
- What we like: It provides so much more than call-blocking also including anti-theft protection and automatic backups.
- What we don’t like: The extra security features are really useful, but they do make the app a little difficult to get to grips with.
Why Get a Scam Blocker App?
Scam calls are not just annoying and time-wasting; they’re also potentially dangerous. Scammers will use all sorts of methods to trick you into believing they are genuine callers to get their hands on your personal information.
Your phone carrier and device will provide some protection against scam calls, but some will inevitably slip through the net. A block scam call app will give you extra protection against scam calls, allowing you to block fraudsters, as well as telemarketers and nuisance callers.
Look for a call blocker with extra features, such as SMS blocking, caller ID, and reverse number lookup to make sure you only respond to legitimate calls.